- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Imagine lying down in your Mooresville Optometrist’s office with blurry vision and sitting up a few minutes later with perfect vision. No glasses, no contacts, no hassle. LASIK surgery can transform your life, and we know it’s important that you understand what to expect from our pre-operative care and post-operative care so you can rest easy before and after this revolutionary optometry treatment.
1. Assessment: When you visit your optometrist to discuss LASIK surgery, we’ll do a full optometry assessment and ensure that your vision has not changed for at least six months prior to treatment. During your assessment, we’ll discuss whether you’re a good candidate for LASIK surgery and, if so, we can schedule your treatment right on the spot.
2. Day-Of Preparation: Before you get LASIK treatment, rest your eyes, hydrate, and get plenty of rest. Even though LASIK surgery is non invasive, it’s a good idea to avoid alcohol, eye make up, smoking, and anything else that may irritate your eyes going into the procedure.
3. Medication: Your optometrist may prescribe a variety of medication to take the day of surgery to increase your comfort, reduce anxiety, and ensure your eyes are not susceptible to infection before or after LASIK. We’ll discuss each one with you and answer any questions you need.
4. Transportation: Prepare for someone to drop you off and pick you up after surgery. Although you will be able to see and move freely after surgery, you may feel sleepy from your medication and feel some minor discomfort. We do not allow any outpatients to drive themselves home, but are happy to recommend taxis and alternative transportation recommendations if needed.
1. The First 48-Hours: During your first 48 hours after surgery, you will wear protective eye covers, need to use special eye drops and steroids to reduce swelling and encourage healing. Avoid rubbing or touching your eyes and make plans to get plenty of rest.
2. Side Effects: Side effects are very minimal. You may experience slight itching, discomfort, or dryness, but most patients feel great just a few hours after LASIK surgery. The first four to six weeks after your procedure, your vision may fluctuate as your eyes heal. Sometimes, your vision may be slightly blurry, others it will be crystal clear. This is a completely normal part of the healing process.
3. Follow-Up Visit: One of the most important steps of your post-operative care is your follow up visit. Before you leave the office, we’ll schedule a follow up visit to check your vision, ensure you are healing, and make recommendations about how to care for your vision moving forward. If, at any time before your follow up visit, you have questions or concerns, we are here to support you.
4. Caring for Your Vision: To ensure your eyes stay healthy and happy for years to come, we recommend using eye drops and visiting your Mooresville optometrist for regular check ups. For more information or to schedule your consultation today, call the Eye Care Center (704) 664-9121. We welcome patients from Mooresville, Davidson, Statesville, Cornelius, Huntersville, Denver, and Lake Norman.